What can I say? The people demand my return, and I am obligated to satisfy these demands.
Today is an appropriate day to return from my blog sabbatical, as the not-so-tiny-anymore Peanut girl had her six-month checkup with her awesome pediatrician this afternoon.
But first, let me catch you up on what you missed in the past few months:
OCTOBER HIGHLIGHTS:
-Visited the local eye doctor for the first time, and he promptly referred us to the specialist on the other side of the mountains. Awesome. First available appointment with her? October 31. As it turns out, our insurance referral didn't come in by then, and we rescheduled to December 31. Don't you love insurance companies?
-Stayed for the first time with a stranger. I began leaving Caleigh with the fantastic Ms. M at the YMCA Child Watch so I could work out. At first she mostly just slept in her car seat the entire time I was gone. These days, she loves to snuggle with Ms. M and play with all the neato toys she doesn't have at home.
-I ran my first race since delivering Peanut. It was a 5K in Eugene and while I huffed and puffed my way through, I made it. Now I'm eyeing the Corvallis half-marathon in April.
-Visited a super cute little pumpkin patch to pick out Caleigh's first pumpkin. She slept most of the time, but Daddy and I took plenty of commemorative photos anyway.
-Celebrated Peanut's three-month birthday with some news about Daddy that changed our plans. This may or may not be a contributing factor to my blog sabbatical.
-First Halloween! Caleigh went as Peanut Butter and her very best friend Millie went as Strawberry Jelly. They were too cute. There was also glitter. Everywhere. There still is.
NOVEMBER HIGHLIGHTS:
-Began rolling over front to back! Go baby girl go!
-Plenty of road trips to and from Corvallis so Jeff and I could attend OSU Football games. She's a great road tripper!
-Thanksgiving trip to Vegas to visit Mimi and Grandpa, and meet Uncle Neil, Auntie Julie, Uncle Brad, Auntie Steph and cousin Easton! He loved hanging out with her, once he decided he'd call her Caleigh and not "that girl." We also met up with our good friends from Sheppard who currently live in Phoenix-what a treat!
-Trip to Vegas meant baby's first plane ride! The trip down was a little rough, probably due to the late timing of our flight. She did great on the way home though!
DECEMBER HIGHLIGHTS:
-More rolling over! She's practicing and getting better!
-She's started to show interest in grown-up food, particularly when we're out eating. She fusses unless she can sit in someone's lap and really be part of the meal. You can probably imagine how fun this is for Jeff and I.
-A visit to Corvallis for Christmas. Caleigh got to see her Auntie Bethany for the first time since she was born, and everyone got plenty of baby snuggles. She also got lots of neat new toys to play with!
-Finally visited the pediatric ophthalmologist on the other side of the mountains. She pretty much told us the baby has poor eye sight, but not so poor that anything needs to be done about it just yet. She'd like to see Caleigh again when she's 11 months old.
JANUARY HIGHLIGHTS:
-Happy New Year! Caleigh had an uneventful night while Jeff and I entertained his b-course class for NYE festivities. We all had a great time.
-First fever! Lots of rest and a little Tylenol and she was back to normal in no time.
-Daddy's 30th Birthday! We had a quiet celebration at home, and then visited Sunriver (it's a local little resort town - Google it, you won't regret it) for some relaxation with my parents. Jeff and my dad had the opportunity to ski, while the ladies hung out at home. There was no snow in Sunriver, but we still all had a great time.
-While in Sunriver we discovered...TEETH! The two middle teeth on the bottom have cut through and are now visible. And more than that, you can FEEL them. Sharp little buggers, they are.
-We also started Peanut on some solid (pureed) foods and so far, she enjoys them! She's still not quite sure what to do with her tongue, and if the feeder isn't using the spoon to hold her tongue down, she has quite a time keeping the food in her mouth. But she flails her arms and grunts until the colorful stick with goo on the end comes back towards her mouth. Can't wait until she really gets the hang of it.
-Visited the Lava Beds National Park for some "caving" and hiking. Jeff and I weren't super keen on the caving, except in the very well-lit one, but the hiking was beautiful. We're lucky to live in such an awe-inspiring part of the country.
-Six months old. It has been half a year since we met out beautiful daughter, and every single day has been beyond what we expected. Of course we've had our challenges, but Jeff and I are settling into parenthood well and are really starting to feel like we've got the hang of it, and we can handle whatever this tiny person cooks up for us. (Like the "code brown" we woke up to the other day - up her back to her armpits. Definitely a two-person job.)
So you're pretty much all caught up now. We watched the Super Bowl last night, and hope Caleigh is more enthused about her next one. Obviously the wrong team won, but it was definitely a good game.
So far this month, we've moved up a diaper size, and had our six-month check up with the pediatrician. She's still very perfect, and has maintained her height/weight track on her growth charts, maintaining her spot in the 70-75th percentiles. I cooked up a little chart with her stats for comparison:
I don't think she's listening.
So that about wraps it up for now, I've probably gone on too long as it is. I've got another adventure cooked up for tomorrow, but you'll have to wait to hear about that another time.
Cheers!

No comments:
Post a Comment